Objection handling must be up there with closing as the two most debated parts of sales training. Much has been written telling you what you should do, what lines to use and how to deliver them.
This article is refreshingly different because it tells you what not to do. There are a few key things that you should never do when faced with a sales objection. They are:
Objection Handling “The Wrongs”
- Don’t pounce: an instant response, sometimes even before the prospect has finished speaking, creates an emotional barrier because it suggests you have not considered what has been said. It also indicates a ‘canned’ answer that you give to every one. People like to be heard and made to feel special and this does not help you do that!
- Don’t be glib: too quick an answer to your customers’ objection will seem unconvincing, because it suggests you have heard it all before and are just repeating a page in your sales manual.
- Don’t argue: never say, “…I don’t agree with you…” “…that’s not really true is it…?” “…no that’s not right and here’s why…” or anything similar; don’t even suggest that you disagree. One of the recent apprentice programs was a fantastic example of how not to do it. The female team arrived at a luxury ‘stretch’ limo hire business to pitch for the valeting business. One of them (can’t remember the name) starts of at around £80 per vehicle to be told the current supplier does it for around £20 (going on a dodgy memory here!). The apprentice – or apprentee? – looked incredulous and insisted “You are wrong. That simply can’t be right.” She had been in the business a whole 2 hours by that time. She was lucky the T.V. cameras were there as the business owner looked liked he was about to show her the door with the point of his expensive designer shoes. I have searched youtube and can’t find that clip. If you ever find it then let me know, please.
- Don’t point score: proving that they do not understand or have made a mistake will simply make them feel foolish or angry.
Would you like to know the 3 most successful objection handling techniques you can ever use?
Ok! They are:
- Demonstrate so much value in your discussions and proposals that choosing you is a ‘no brainer’. Develop a record of all provable business value you have created for clients and apply that knowledge and those facts into proving potential Return On Investment for your new clients.
- Deal with objections before they ever come up. This is the objection handling technique of the ‘superstars’. If you are the most expensive on the marketplace and you know it, and you know they know it, then don’t leave it unsaid. Clearly demonstrate in your proposal and discussion, why i.e. “John, on first glance it might seem we are the most expensive provider in the marketplace per case of product. When you take into account your average order values, and order schedule, and the fact that we don’t charge a premium for next day international shipping, we are actually one of the most cost effective. I have drawn up a total pricing plan for your planned purchases next year which shoes this. Are you OK with that?”
- Brainstorm professional, credible answers to all of your common objections with every member of your sales team, your customer service team, your management team and draw up value proving answers. This one strategy alone could double your sales success in a 6 month period.
If you get into the habit of killing off the ‘wrongs’ and using the 3 best objection handling techniques in your business, your sales will take a huge surge.
Use these effective objection handling tips – let me know how it goes. If you want to make sure you get rid of sales objections in your sales once and for all then you really need to get your instant access to the most comprehensive, sales objections Manual available anywhere. You can access it here: Sales Objections Course
Get Instant Access to The Most Advanced Sales Objections Resource here (click the image):
This will solve your objection handling challenges once and for all!